Quitting smoking is the best thing you can do for your health. There are many tools and services that can help you succeed.
Find the method that works for you.
Get help to stop smoking
The best way to quit smoking is to stop smoking cessation treatment and use the help of a specialist from your local smoking service. They are free to use.
Every month, thousands of people quit smoking using smoking cessation services. You are around 3 times with their advice and support, they are more likely to quit smoking altogether. They offer a number of help:
- Free 1-on-1 or group advice from an experienced counselor who can support you to get rid of your smoking habits.
- Provide a variety of medications and treatments to help manage cravings.
- Tips on switching to e-cigarettes and how to best use them.
We filmed Brian’s experience to show you how to participate in a smoking cessation service.
Smoking cessation services due to the coronavirus pandemic can be provided online. Contact your local service for more information. You can contact them online or by phone.
If you do not want to use the smoking cessation service, you can also get help to stop smoking from:
Stop smoking medications and treatments
There are four main types of treatment to stop smoking:
- Vareniklin (Champix). Vareniclin is a drug that reduces cravings and makes smoking less enjoyable. You can get a prescription from a doctor or stop smoking.
- Bupropion (Zyban). Bupropion is a drug that can reduce the symptoms of passion and withdrawal. Available with a doctor’s prescription or smoking cessation service.
- Nicotine replacement therapy (NRT). NRT gives you nicotine to satisfy your passions without the harmful chemicals in tobacco smoke. There are many different types, including nasal sprays, gums and patches. It is sold by prescription or you can buy it without a prescription at a pharmacy.
- Vapes / Electronic cigarettes. An e-cigarette (or vape) is an electronic device that transfers nicotine to the vapor you breathe. Vaping is also less harmful than smoking. You can buy e-cigarettes in specialty vape stores, as well as in some pharmacies, supermarkets and supermarkets.
All of these treatments are most effective when used with the advice and support of a smoking cessation service.
Nicotine cigarettes are such an addictive chemical. These smoking cessation medications are designed to help you control your nicotine cravings.
Can I take medication to help me quit smoking?
Yes, varenicline (Champix) and bupropion (Zyban) are drugs that help you quit smoking. For these treatments, you will need a prescription from your smoking cessation service or doctor.
Vareniclin is more recommended than bupropion. Helps prevent addictive nicotine from reaching your brain. This reduces cravings and makes smoking less enjoyable.
Some people cannot take varenicline for medical reasons. Bupropion is another drug that can be prescribed if you cannot take varenicline. Reduces nicotine cravings and withdrawal symptoms.
What is the best way to use NRT?
NRT can increase your chances of success – as long as you use it properly.
- Connect NRT instruments – Try a fast-acting nasal spray, chewing gum or inhaler, and slower-release patches.
- Use as much as you want – Nicotine itself does not cause cancer and there is no need to worry about its excess.
- Contact your smoking cessation service, doctor or pharmacist for advice – They can recommend which products or combinations of products to use and enough to get rid of nicotine again without smoking.
Can Vaping Help Me Quit Smoking?
Yes, research shows that the use of e-cigarettes can help people to quit smoking.
This is because they allow nicotine to breathe in the vapor, eliminating appetite. Vaping is similar to smoking, like catching and breathing.
Although more research is needed on their long-term effects, so far evidence shows that e-cigarettes are less harmful than cigarettes. Because they do not contain tobacco, which is responsible for the harmful effects of smoking.
Read more about vaping.
What is the best way to use e-cigarettes?
Everyone should find what works best for them, but here are some tips that can help you use e-cigarettes to stop smoking:
- Use e-cigarettes as much as you want – Don’t expect your desires to lead you to smoke.
- Don’t get caught – Do not forget to refill e-cigarettes and refuel when leaving the house.
- Use the right nicotine concentration – If you find that your e-cigarette does not reduce your passion even when you use it a lot, you may not have used a high enough nicotine concentration in your e-liquid.
- Experience – There are many different types of devices and flavors of e-liquid. Find out what works for you.
- Get advice – If you want to use an e-cigarette to help you quit smoking, your smoking cessation service can support it.
What are the benefits of quitting smoking?
There are countless benefits to quitting – from improving your physical and mental health to saving money:
- Reduce your risk of cancer. Quitting smoking reduces the risk of lung and at least 14 other types of cancer.
- Reduce your risk of lung and heart disease including heart attack, stroke, COPD and chronic bronchitis.
- Feel healthier. Stopping can help you feel better in everyday life. Many people report having less cough and more energy after giving up.
- Improve your mental well-being. Many people think that smoking makes them feel more comfortable or happier, but the feeling you feel after smoking is temporary. Quitting smoking can reduce depression, anxiety and stress.
- A healthier look. Smoking can damage the skin and make it look gray, but stopping it can help reverse it. Quitting smoking also stops staining your teeth.
- Save money. Smoking can cost thousands of pounds a year. What would you do with the extra money?
It can be difficult to stop smoking and it can be anxious to start with withdrawal symptoms. But keep going. Withdrawal symptoms will pass and the benefits of quitting smoking will last forever.
The best tips to stop smoking completely
We know that it can be difficult to quit smoking. Smoking can be part of a well-established regimen that can be difficult to break.
But help is available. Every year more and more people stop smoking. Here are some key tips to get you started.
- Decide when you will do it. Making a plan increases your chances of doing something. Decide on a date when you will stop smoking, and stick to it.
- Get ready. Think about what might prevent you from quitting. For example, what will you do if you are with friends who smoke, and plan your actions in advance.
- Find the method that works for you. There are many effective smoking cessation treatments that may be right for you. You can read about them above.
- Ask for help. Although difficult, there is no need to go alone. Talk to your local smoking cessation service or doctor. They can help and advise you.
- Don’t stop trying. Most people take a few tries before quitting, so don’t be discouraged if you don’t succeed at first. If one way doesn’t work for you, try another. Don’t be afraid to return to your local service or doctor, they will still want to help.
Read more tips on how to quit smoking from people who have stopped smoking successfully.