If you smoke, quitting can make a big difference not only to your health, but also to the health of your family and friends. This can increase your chances of living longer and you will soon feel the benefits of quitting smoking. Even if you have been smoking for years, it is never too late to stop.
Some of the benefits of quitting are almost immediately apparent:
- After 20 minutes, your blood pressure and pulse return to normal
- After 8 hours, nicotine and carbon monoxide levels in the blood are halved and oxygen levels return to normal.
- After 48 hours, carbon monoxide will be expelled from the body and the lungs will begin to clear mucus. At this stage, no nicotine remains in the body, and the ability to taste and smell is significantly improved.
- It is easier to breathe after 72 hours
- After 2 to 12 weeks, blood circulation improves
- After 3 to 9 months, cough, wheezing, and respiratory problems improve as lung function increases by up to 10%.
- After 5 years, the risk of heart attack is about half that of a person who still smokes
- After 10 years, the risk of lung cancer is half that of a smoker, and the risk of a heart attack is the same as a person who has never smoked.
In addition to some of the health benefits described above, you will see some additional positive changes:
- Your sense of taste will return and the food will start to taste better
- your fitness will improve
- your skin and teeth will start to look better
- If you are thinking of starting a family, your productivity levels will improve.
Offers Healthy Lifestyle Services free A 12-week phone support program to help you quit smoking.
You can make an appointment with one of our smoking cessation experts in advance to discuss how we can help you with your daily quitting problems, such as managing your passions, changing your smoking-related routines and habits. We can also advise you on what products you can buy to help you in your exit.
Request an appointment before aa by email to Healthlifestyles@telford.gov.uk.
Please note: Our Healthy Lifestyle Consultants and Practitioners are not clinically trained and only offer advice and support on healthy lifestyles.
See our social media pages for daily health messages and more information on what’s happening in the region to improve the health of our residents:
How can I access this service?
Fill out our online form to give a reference or contact the Healthy Lifestyle team
Phone: 01952 382582
Last updated: 02/03/2021 10:53